Friday, April 24, 2009

Why I'm Presbyterian


I have often been asked why I am a Presbyterian. The easy answer - That's the church I was raised in. But in reality, the reason is more complex, varied, and changes.
I see the Presbyterian Church as a church that is open to all people, but is tied to tradition. It is a church that allows for independent thought but offers the comfort of connectivity.
It is a church that offers the possibility of involvement ranging from local church activity to national and world wide participation. I have served my church as a deacon, trustee, elder, clerk of session, Sunday school teacher and lay preacher. I have served as a lay commissioner to Presbytery, Synod and General Assembly, and until its demise a few years ago, my wife and I served the family ministry organization "The Presbyterian Mariners" on a local, state and national level.
In all of these opportunities, the church has allowed me to express my thoughts, share my ideas and most of all explore and grow in my faith. Why am I a Presbyterian? Not because I know all the answers, because I sure don't. I guess I'm a Presbyterian because the church encourages me to grow in my personal relationship with Christ while offering me a loving community of support.
Kind of like the ideal family.

4 comments:

  1. (I grew up a Presbyterian preacher's kid in Kansas, myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): The ideal but often dysfunctional family. Welcome to Presbyterian Bloggers from a distant dysfunctional cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one long hair to another, welcome! All the best to you on your blogging adventure!

    ReplyDelete